Saturday, March 3, 2012

Which Do You Chose?

I've consciously tried to exclude politics and political personalities from this blog. However, every once in a while, something pops up in our current events that warrants discussion, even in the context of this forum.

The recent controversy involving Rush Limbaugh and Sandra Fluke has really left a bad taste in my mouth, but not for the reasons you may think.

I've never agreed with Rush Limbaugh before, and I'm not surprised another statement by him rubbed me the wrong way. 

My visceral reaction to his statements did surprise me.  While I completely disagree with him, I keep trying to comprehend the extreme anger and hatred that surrounds this person.

What happened to Rush Limbaugh that his energy is focused in this way?  He's wealthy, got a dream job, and is the envy of a lot of folks who wish they had 1/100th the money he has.

What confuses me most about this is that while millions of people are posting innovative, positive ideas in blogs, trying to grow a tribe of followers,  Rush plugs along, spewing his vitriolic messages, taking for granted the platform he has -- and making the wrong choice.

I'm thankful we live in a society in which you're allowed to speak your mind and criticize others.
However, even though we have the privilege, we still have a choice to make. 

Our choice can go down two paths:
a)  to make art, contribute things that lift and help others, and to show our gratitude
b)  to spew hate, to criticize others, and to tell lies in the service of personal gain

Fifty years from now,  how will people view Rush's legacy?  Better question, will they even remember it?  He's built a career based on hating and tearing down people, and there's plenty of others great at doing that.

What's your choice?






No comments: