Wednesday, February 4, 2015

The Wind Back In My Sails

I experienced something new for the first time in my career:  I got laid off.

After the shock of this development, my mind immediately went to all the things I should have done or could have done to make myself more indispensable.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that's probably not a healthy excercise.

After receiving messages and calls of support and encouragement from my collegues, manufacturer partners, and team, I realize which questions were more important: did I leave my mark and did I create an environment for the people around me to be the best they can be?

From the outpouring I received, I think I accompished those things.

However, when I look back, could I have even done better?

Did I thank that collegue enough for that unsolicited favor?
Did I provide enough encouragement for that team member when he felt insecure about his capabilities?
Was I generous enough to our vendors when they need my mindshare?
Did I reach out enough to others who we're hurting?

The people you touch should be your measuring stick.   Every interaction you have with another person, no matter the circumstances, is an opportunity to grow, learn, and connect.

I'm appreciating that this a chance to take stock in what truly matters: the relationships you build and nurture in this relatively short time we have.

The wind was taken out of my sails that day and I'm not out of the doldrums yet, but the people around me have given me new focus and helped me stay on course.
.





No comments: