Thursday, November 17, 2011

Let Me In or Let Me Go

As a salesperson, you may know this customer: decent amount of business with you, long term relationship, but still keeps you guessing and at arms length.
It can be maddening dealing with customers like this.  They help you reach your quota every month, but you would drop them in a minute if you could replace their business.

As a customer, you may identify with this: You like the power of having "hand" over your supplier.  Its your prerogative to keep the vendor relationship at a "need to know basis".  Salespeople come and go, but only you know what's best for your business.

Why are you doing this, customer?
If its because I never took the time to understand your business and learn what keeps you up at night, then I don't blame you.
But if its about being in control, being the smartest guy in the room, just keeping me off balance, then you're only hurting yourself and your company.

A good salesperson helps you uncover the unrealized potential of your business, helps to proof-read your processes, and ultimately helps you make more money.
You can't possibly have every answer, and you can't possibly have heard about every industry trend and new revenue opportunity.
Let me in or let me go.  I've got other customers who actually want me along for the ride  They also have the successful business to show for it.

No comments: